$16.00 [4.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours]
Course Number: #02-598
The National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) is the only nationally representative and continuing assessment of what U.S. students know and can do in various subject areas. This continuing education course, developed using information from the U.S. Department of Education, was designed to provide an overview of the development of the NAEP Arts Education Assessment Framework, which encompasses dance, music, theatre, and the visual arts. The role of arts education in the U.S. is discussed as well as the content and processes of the arts and the importance of assessment in this area. Additionally, specific grade-level achievement descriptions are presented for each arts category.
1. Identify the role of music, dance, theater, and visual arts education in the United States.
2. Discuss the purpose of the NAEP Arts Education Assessment Framework and summarize its developmental process.
3. Define the processes and content of the arts in general, as well as those specific to each of the arts disciplines.
4. Outline the desired attributes of the assessment framework including contextual information, ethical responsibilities, and issues specific to each art form.
5. Summarize methods to interpret the results of the NAEP Arts Education Assessment.
6. Review specific grade-level achievement descriptions for each arts category.