1. Maintaining a healthy weight is critical for older adults, as being underweight, overweight, or obese is linked to increased risk for many health problems.
2. Nutrient dense foods recommended for older adults include each of the following EXCEPT:
A. Seafood, lean meats, poultry, and eggs
B. Whole milk products that are fortified with vitamin D and calcium
C. Fruits, vegetables, seeds, and nuts
D. Whole grains, like oatmeal, whole-wheat bread, and brown rice
3. In order to help prevent softening of the bones and reduce the risk of bone fractures, adults older than 70, need 1000 IU (international units) of vitamin D a day, while those under 70 need 800 IU.
4. Adults 51 years and older should limit sodium intake to less than _______ a day, as too much sodium can lead to high blood pressure.
A. 2100 mg
B. 1800 mg
C. 1500 mg
D. 1200 mg
5. Which of the following is an accurate statement about the types and amount of physical activity recommended for older adults?
A. Older adults should spend at least 120 minutes on moderately intense aerobic activity throughout the week
B. Activities to strengthen muscles should be done 3-4 times a week
C. Older adults should incorporate balance activities into their routines twice a week
D. Flexibility activities to improve range of motion are encouraged at least three days a week
6. Activities such as water aerobics, weight training, and yoga are particularly beneficial to older adults because they provide more combinations of benefits such as aerobic and strengthening, or flexibility and balance.
7. Older adults may begin an exercise program by choosing activities that they like and setting small goals, and they will benefit from the activity as long as they participate for at least 15 minutes at a time.
Copyright © 2018 TeachME Professional Development
Visit us at https://www.teachmeceus.com