1. The School Crime Operations Package, or School COP, is designed to enable schools to record and store detailed information about incidents involving student misconduct and crime so that they will be able to accomplish each or the following EXCEPT:
A. Identify and prioritize problems in the school
B. Determine whether these strategies are helping to address the problem
C. Identify strategies for helpings to prevent future incidents
D. Engage school personnel and students to participate in implantation
2. School COP enables school administrators, campus police officers, and security staff to identify students who appear to be repeatedly victimized by other students, and conduct searches of misconduct and crime by type of incident, location, month, school, and other variables.
3. One important element of school safety is determining where "hot" spots are and evaluating if they will benefit from increased adult presence, surveillance, environmental changes, or other preventive measures.
4. The SARA Model of Problem Solving can help school personnel with student discipline by scanning the problem, examining the causes and identifying helpful resources, responding with a solution, and:
A. Assessing whether the response reduced the severity of the problem
B. Addressing new problems or those that still exist
C. Assiting with implementation when difficulties arise
D. Appraising what feedback needs to be gathered to continue the process
5. In the SARA model, a school problem is known informally as two or more incidents that are similar in one or more ways and that are of concern to the educational community.
6. To determine what is causing misconduct or crime in schools, it is important to find out as much as possible about three elements known as The Crime Triangle that are associated with most misconduct and criminal behavior, including the nature of the incident, the people involved including witnesses, and the history of this type of incident.
7. If a school doesn't have a resource officer who has been trained in problem-solving, it may be possible to confer with other law enforcement officials who have expertise in this area, such as:
A. DARE officers
B. Juvenile officers
C. Emergency response team members
D. Tactical officers
8. Enlisting the support of stakeholders can help substantially with analyzing the problem and devising, implementing, and building support for the solution, and it generally works best to have several individuals or groups involved throughout the entire process.
9. Which of the following is NOT one of the non-traditional responses recommended to deter student misconduct?
A. Working with parents to help their children discontinue their misconduct or criminal behavior, or to avoid being revictimized
B. Developing strengths-based problem solving strategies and offering acceptance and tolerance training
C. Instituting mandatory small classes on specific problem areas, such as bullying, graffiti, or racial conflict
D. Implementing a mediation program and establishing a teen court
10. One reason that bullying can be so harmful in that it creates fear, not just among its victims but also among other students who are afraid they may become victims.
11. When analyzing a bullying problem, steps include identifying resources that could help analyze the problem, identifying stakeholders who could help implement solutions, and:
A. Identifying if bullying incidences were being accurately responded to
B. Differentiating between the characteristics of offenders and victims
C. Determining the underlying causes of the bullying
D. Identifying what steps had worked to combat bullying in the past and those that failed
12. Stakeholders believe that educating students, parents, and community members about the impact of bullying would be the most important element in assessing later whether the solutions the school implemented to address the problem were effective.
13. One of the findings of the bullying case-study was that offenders frequently felt they could get away with bullying since the victims did not report it, so encouraging reporting needed to be a priority.
14. Since many students who bully actually feel inadequate and use bullying as a means of covering up their feelings of insecurity, counseling can be an important step in prevention and intervention.
15. Strategies that may be implemented to decrease incidences of trespassing on school grounds include:
A. Make each staff member school resource officer same geographic cluster of schools aware of students who have been suspended or expelled
B. Assign an additional staff member to hall duty during lunch period and immediately after school
C. Examine the School COP database to identify habitual offenders and related crimes among all the district's secondary schools
D. All of the above
16. When customizing School COP to fit the needs of a particular school, experts recommend that 'drug related', 'alcohol-related' and 'gang-related' incidents be categorized under a 'miscellaneous offenses' code, as this may provide critical information for a future problem-solving effort.
17. Tips for using School COP to help address discipline and crime problems include tracking individual students disciplinary and criminal histories and records of discipline, and determining if and how incidents are impacted by race, gender, and
A. Grade level
B. School size
C. Level of security on campus
D. Time of year
18. In order to take steps to ensure that data entry regarding school incidents is complete, accurate, and timely, each of the following should be considered EXCEPT:
A. Establish standards on what type of incidents should be reported and what type of incidents should be entered in School COP
B. Identify a small group of people who can be responsible for making sure all information is collected, as this decreases the likelihood that mistakes will be made
C. Prior to implementing School COP, consider initiating a campaign to encourage incident reporting by students, teachers, and staff
D. Enter data into School COP as soon as possible after the incident occurred
Copyright © 2018 TeachME Professional Development
Visit us at https://www.teachmeceus.com