This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 5.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
Teachers, administrators, districts, and other school representatives must ensure that ELs and immigrant students attain English language proficiency and achieve rigorous academic standards. This continuing education course was developed using information from the U.S. Department of Education's English Learner Toolkit, which was designed to help state and local education agencies (SEAs and LEAs) meet their legal obligations to ELs and provide all ELs with the support needed to attain English language proficiency while meeting college and careerreadiness standards. Tools and resources for identifying all English learner students, for providing English learners with a language assistance program, for staffing and supporting an English learner program, and for providing English learners meaningful access to core curricular and extracurricular programs are presented. Additionally, conclusions and recommendations to best serve English learners are discussed as well as numerous resources for assisting these students.
1. Describe strategies to help state and local education agencies (SEAs and LEAs) meet their obligations to English Learners (ELs).
2. Identify numerous tools and resources that educators, parents, advocates, administrators, and other concerned parties can access to assist English learners.
3. Discuss how programs can be designed and implemented to enable ELs to attain both English proficiency and parity of participation in the standard instructional program.
4. Summarize the steps for addressing the long term needs of English learners as well as ELs who participate in special education and related services.
5. Outline ways to provide the personnel necessary to effectively implement EL programs and to provide adequate professional development and follow-up training so that teachers and administrators continue to execute a successful EL program.
6. Review the essential knowledge and skills for teachers of English learners.
7. Illustrate how SEAs and LEAs provide equal opportunities for EL students to meaningfully participate in curricular, co-curricular, and extracurricular programs and activities.
8. Evaluate the use of appropriate, reliable, and valid evaluations and testing methods to measure ELs’ acquisition of English and core content knowledge.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.