This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 4.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
English Learners must have equal access to a high-quality education and the opportunity to achieve their full academic potential. This continuing education course, Part 2 in our EL series, was developed using information from the U.S. Department of Education's English Learner Toolkit and is intended to provide information to help state and local education agencies (SEAs and LEAs) meet their obligations to English Learners (ELs). Topics include tools and resources for creating an inclusive environment and for avoiding segregation, strategies to assist English Learners with disabilities, and approaches for serving English Learners who opt out of EL Programs.
1. Outline strategies to assist LEAs in limiting the segregation of ELs to the extent necessary to reach the stated goals of an educationally sound and effective program.
2. Describe instances when separate instruction for ELs may be justifiable, as well as circumstances where segregation is inappropriate.
3. Review the LEAs responsibility to identify, locate, and evaluate ELs with disabilities in a timely manner and to consider the language proficiency of ELs with disabilities in determining appropriate assessments and other evaluation materials.
4. Evaluate how EL students with disabilities can best receive assistance with both the language assistance and disability related services they are entitled to under federal law.
5. Identify the rights of parents to opt their children out of EL programs or particular EL services.
6. Discuss the LEAs obligation to continue monitoring the English language proficiency (ELP) and academic progress of students who opt out of EL programs and services.
7. Determine which tools and resources may be most effectively used to create inclusive environments for ELs, to assist those who opt out of programs, and to best serve those with disabilities.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.