1. Providing information about tasks or activities ahead of time, building in additional processing time, modeling appropriate skills, and encouraging peer support for students on the autism spectrum are critical, as ASD students often have communication deficits in each of the following areas EXCEPT:
B. Attention and memory
C. Expressive communication
D. Interacting with others
2. Many school districts are incorporating methods that focus on helping ASD individuals augment or compensate for significant challenges in the area of communication using various systems or aids, which is part of an emerging field known as Reinforcement and Auxiliary Communication (RAC).
3. Which of the following is an accurate statement about supporting basic dating skills for students with ASD?
A. Important topic areas include the purpose of dating and an understanding of how a dating relationship typically develops
B. Teens should be able to demonstrate an understanding of expected behaviors and differences in relationships among acquaintances, friends, and dating partners and demonstrate dating readiness
C. Teens with ASD need to be aware of and develop a plan for dealing with sensory sensitivities that may impact the dating relationship
D. All of the above
4. Safety skills related to dating which are particularly relevant to ASD youth include identifying abusive and illegal sexual behaviors and how to avoid them, discussing relationship dangers present on the internet, and discussing the consequences of sexual activity.
5. Excessive worry or rumination and having difficulty initiating normal daily activities are the two most common behavioral indicators of depression in teens with ASD.
6. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) has shown promise in cases of anxiety by teaching individuals to address challenging negative thoughts with logic, role-playing and modeling of courageous behavior, by using step-by-step exposure to feared situations, and by:
A. Modeling compassion and self-acceptance
B. Creating a positive sense of identity
C. Teaching relaxation techniques
D. Promoting emotional regulation
7. Exercise is especially important for those with ASD, as more than half of adolescents with ASD are either overweight or at risk of being overweight, and being overweight can increase risks associated with ASD such as depression, anxiety, and gastrointestinal problems.
8. Potential areas of difficulty contributing to poor hygiene in youth with ASD include sensory challenges related to cleaning items and tasks and:
A. Difficulty understanding non-verbal clues related to self-care
B. Managing time or following directions in the completion of a hygiene task
C. Struggles with seeing the perspectives of others in relationship to personal hygiene
D. Health issues that directly impact hygiene
Copyright © 2018 TeachME Professional Development
Visit us at https://www.teachmeceus.com