This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 4.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
The goal of this course is to offer educators specific, evidence-based guidance to address the challenge of improving mathematical problem solving in young students. The course was developed using updated information from the U.S. Department of Education’s Institute of Education Sciences (IES) and provides practical, clear information on critical topics related to improving mathematical problem solving and is based on the best available evidence as judged by the authors. Five recommendations that provide teachers with a coherent approach for regularly incorporating problem solving into their classrooms are included as well as suggestions for putting each recommendation into practice, roadblocks that may be encountered and possible solutions.
1. Determine the importance of improving mathematical problem solving for students in middle grades.
2. Explain how teachers should incorporate problem-solving activities into daily instruction.
3. Summarize strategies to assist students in monitoring and reflecting on the problem-solving process.
4. Discuss how to teach students to use visual representations to link the relationships between quantities in the problem with the mathematical operations needed to solve it.
5. Describe methods to expose students to multiple problem-solving strategies and to help them recognize and articulate mathematical concepts and notation.
6. Review sample problems, examples of how to monitor and reflect with students, and solutions to overcome roadblocks that may be encountered in the learning process.
7. Outline pertinent research in the area of mathematical problem solving.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.