Please Note: This course has varying hours depending on the type of credit you need. See Below.
CE Course Description
Substance use and misuse by young people can lead to a variety of problems and may place them at risk for other related health consequences. The purpose of this intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Department of Education, is provide professionals with a practical guide to raising drug free children that can be shared with parents and caregivers. An overview of substance use among young people is presented as well as risk and protective factors, suggestions on how to talk to them about substance use, and what do if substance use is suspected.
CE Course Objectives
1. Summarize how substance use impacts young people, including prevalence rates and particular effects on academic performance.
2. Discuss commonly used substances, their risks, how they are consumed, and their effects.
3. Describe concerns pertaining to misuse of prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medications by young people.
4. Identify risk factors that may make kids more vulnerable to trying and using alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs, as well as protective factors to offset those risks.
5. Review tips for parents and caregivers when substance use is suspected or known.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2017-09-01
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.