$8.00 [2.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours]
Course Number: #02-529
The purpose of this continuing education activity is to provide information to schools and youth programs about the consequences of violence, and to offer guidance for reducing and eliminating its impact. The course, which was developed using information from The Greater Pittsburgh Coalition Against Violence, discusses the role of family and community, numerous issues that perpetuate and exacerbate the problem, as well as strategies to build more peaceful communities.
1. Discuss the persistent problem of violence within our communities, and highlight those who are particularly vulnerable to its consequences.
2. Identify strategies for parents and families to empower, support, teach, and encourage healthy and productive children.
3. Summarize characteristics and consequences of bullying, and ways in which schools, families, communities, and youth can address and work toward combating the problem.
4. Describe how athletes, gang members, and members of the media can positively and negatively impact community violence.
5. Outline the role of youth in impacting education, awareness, and violence prevention efforts.