$4.00 [1.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours]
Course Number: #02-782
Personalized learning is described as differentiated learning that is intended to address the distinct learning needs, interests, preferences and backgrounds of individual students. The purpose of this brief continuing education course, developed using information from the Center on Innovations in Learning, is to expand this definition, address personal competencies in education, and highlight specific strategies to personalize learning. Additionally, action principles for states, districts, and schools to support personal competencies are discussed.
1. Identify the components of personalized learning including personal characteristics, learner relationships, the role of personal competencies, and the evolution of personalized learning.
2. Describe competency-based education and its place in personalized learning.
3. Differentiate between personal, academic, and career/occupational competencies, including how they are reinforced and assessed.
4. Outline specific strategies to implement competency-based instruction and personalized learning into the classroom.
5. Evaluate strengths, outcomes, and reservations pertaining to personalized learning.
6. Discuss action principles for states, districts, and schools to support personal competencies.