Please Note: This course has varying hours depending on the type of credit you need. See Below.
The purpose of this brief, intermediate continuing education course is to provide information that will assist high school staff and family members in supporting adolescents on the autism spectrum as they begin to explore current areas relevant to their growth and maturation. Developed using materials from the Center on Secondary Education for Students with ASD (CSESA), the course includes practical tips and resources pertaining to communication, depression, anxiety, exercise, and hygiene for ASD teens.
1. Describe general difficulties associated with communication and ways to improve the functional and conversational communication skills of adolescents on the autism spectrum.
2. Summarize basic dating readiness skills, safety skills related to dating, and social skills related to dating, and how school staff and families can support ASD teens in these skill areas.
3. Identify symptoms of depression and anxiety, how those symptoms may present in adolescents on the autism spectrum, and implications for helping ASD teens who may be struggling with these issues.
4. Evaluate the benefits of exercise for adolescents with ASD in improving behavior, school readiness, academic achievement and motor skills functioning.
5. Outline how the deficits associated with ASD may impact personal hygiene and how to best support challenges that may occur.
6. Discuss practical tips and resources that school and community personnel and family members can access to help ASD teens.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2017-05-05
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
No conflict of interest was identified for this learning activity for individuals in a position to control content.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
If you require ADA or other special needs accommodations, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 1-800-413-5262, so arrangements can be made.