Please Note: This course has varying hours depending on the type of credit you need. See Below.
CE Course Description
Many high school students report that they have seriously considered suicide in the past, and schools have a particular obligation to take action to prevent such tragedies. This continuing education course is the first of a two-part series that focuses on strategies to prevent suicide among high school students. It was developed using information from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) in order to help schools assess their ability to prevent suicide among students and respond to suicides that may occur. Additionally, steps to integrate suicide prevention into activities that fulfill other aspects of the school’s mission, such as preventing the abuse of alcohol and other drugs, are presented.
CE Course Objetives
1. Determine how schools can best identify staff and community partners who can help with suicide prevention and generate overall support.
2. Identify the most critical steps necessary to protect students from suicide and ways to educate the school community about suicide prevention.
3. Discuss risk and protective factors for suicide along with strategies to recognize and respond to warning signs.
4. Outline the development of protocols to meet the needs of students at risk of suicide and to respond to a suicide attempt on campus.
5. Evaluate the methods to help students cope in the short and long term after a suicide.
6. Review guidelines for notifying staff, working with families, and speaking to the media following a suicide.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.