This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 3.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
While current trends in public education call for creating classrooms that support critical and creative thinking, focus on 21st-century skills, cultivate authentic inquiry, and place students at the center of instruction, challenges remain as to how to implement such deeper learning strategies with all populations. The purpose of this course, developed using information from The Why, What, Where, and How of Deeper Learning in American Secondary Schools series, is to summarize how immigrant students, English language learners (ELLs), and students with disabilities can benefit from these types of focused, critical, and engaging classrooms. The current educational status of these students is discussed, as well as research-based instructional strategies that can support them and other struggling learners, and ways in which their experiences and strengths may be reframed as valuable resources for deeper learning.
1. Describe the concept of deeper learning and the need to create such environments in all types of schools and classrooms, including those with typically underserved populations.
2. Identify the current educational status of the nation’s ELLs and immigrant students, barriers to academic achievement, and the need to understand linguistic and cultural backgrounds as assets rather than deficiencies.
3. Consider the ways in which linguistic and cultural diversity and immigrant experiences might be reframed as valuable resources for deeper learning.
4. Discuss previous efforts to promote better educational outcomes for students with disabilities and how policy efforts and resources can move toward ensuring that all young people have meaningful opportunities for deeper learning.
5. Summarize how ELLs and students with disabilities can develop the knowledge and skills associated with thinking critically, solving complex problems, communicating effectively, and grasping how to learn at a deeper level.
6. Evaluate instructional strategies and approaches for effectively supporting and enhancing deeper learning for underserved populations.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.