Please Note: This course has varying hours depending on the type of credit you need. See Below.
The number of schools and districts implementing competency-based education models has steadily increased over the past few years as districts have seen and acknowledged its benefits. The purpose of this continuing education course, developed using information from the International Association for K-12 Online Learning, is to offer a resource to assist in implementing competency-based models that ensure equity and quality. The four key issues necessary for advancing competency-based education are discussed as well as strategies for implementation, and different ways to integrate the elements of a powerful competency-based system.
1. Review the purpose of the K-12 public education system, while comparing a traditional education system to competency-based education.
2. Identify ways that personalized learning approaches and competency-based systems complement each other.
3. Describe the four key issues necessary for advancing competency-based education, including design principles for a high-quality system and the development of an equity framework.
4. Discuss practices that enable districts and schools to truly meet all students where they are and respond in ways that are designed for success.
5. Summarize key policy issues that are important to create the conditions in which high-quality systems of competency-based education can thrive and grow.
6. Outline actions steps necessary for successfully implementing powerful competency-based education models.
7. Provide examples of high-quality competency-based education that places equity at the center.
This course expires on 01/01/2023
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Course Date: 2018-07-02
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
No conflict of interest was identified for this learning activity for individuals in a position to control content.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
If you require ADA or other special needs accommodations, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 1-800-413-5262, so arrangements can be made.