This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 6.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
Child care providers and other educators of young children have an obligation to help youth adopt healthy eating and active play behaviors so that they may maintain wellness and attain their educational potential. This continuing education class was developed using information from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in order to provide child care providers with tools to make changes in their nutrition and wellness policies and practices that will benefit children in their care. Topics covered include how to incorporate fruits, vegetables, milk, meat, beans, and whole grains into the diets of young children both at school and at home. Additionally, tips to reduce sodium, saturated fats, and sugars are discussed along with ways to involve young children in meal preparation and planning. Finally, the basics of food safety are outlined as well as strategies to encourage active play every day.
1. Summarize how to build a healthy plate for young children that includes adequate amounts of fruits, vegetables, milk, whole grains, meat, and other protein sources.
2. Review steps to reduce sodium, fats, and sugars from the diets of small children, while still keeping meals and snacks tasty and desirable for them.
3. Identify strategies to involve young children in meal preparation and planning and to connect with parents and community members so they are also involved in healthy nutrition and wellness goals.
4. Outline the basics of food safety and tips to prevent foodborne illness.
5. Discuss the benefits of active play for young children and ways to incorporate play into daily activities.
6. Describe how child care providers can develop written policies and procedures that promote active play and wellness.
7. Summarize how child care providers and parents can limit screen time in order to help young children remain active, sleep better, and focus better in school.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.