$12.00 [3.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours]
Course Number: #02-236
This intermediate level continuing education course was developed using the U.S. Department of Education document, A Blueprint for R.E.S.P.E.C.T: Recognizing Educational Success, Professional Excellence, and Collaborative Teaching. Students today are confronting unprecedented challenges in their educations and heightened competition in an increasingly knowledge-based, global job market, and teachers have the opportunity to rethink the existing systems that have not been meeting our nation’s educational goal and to give their students an array of tools for leading productive and satisfying lives. The purpose of this course is to demonstrate how accomplished, effective teachers guide every student’s learning and how schools can be collaborative and innovative workplaces where teachers and leaders have the capacity to improve student outcomes and close achievement gaps. The Blueprint for Recognizing Educational Success, Professional Excellence and Collaborative Teaching (RESPECT) framework for parents, students, educators, policymakers, business and community leaders, elected officials, and other partners is discussed as a means to guide the collective efforts to strengthenAmerica’s public education system.
1. Describe the new vision of education that has led to the development of a responsive and robust policy framework for transforming the profession.
2. Outline the seven critical components of a transformed education profession and discuss the fusing of these components to build one comprehensive and coherent system.
3. Analyze strategies to develop and support educators, as well as ways to provide them with the tools and conditions necessary to improve, succeed, and maximize their impact on student learning.
4. Review approaches that support each student in exiting high school prepared for postsecondary study, informed citizenship, and workforce participation.
5. Evaluate various federal programs and initiatives that are advancing a consistent set of policies around supporting and encouraging healthy education practices.
6. Identify comprehensive strategies for attracting talented individuals to careers in teaching and school leadership, and improving the quality of their preparation.