$32.00 [8.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours]
Course Number: #02-327
**Participants will be required to have access to the book, Rigorous Reading: 5 Access Points for Comprehending Complex Texts, by Nancy Frey and Douglas Fisher for this course **
CE Course Description
Many educators are currently facing questions about how to best translate the recommendations and mandates around Common Core Standards into instructional practices. The purpose of this continuing education course is to give teachers a better knowledge about comprehension and composition so that they will be better equipped to handle the expectations of Common Core. The course was developed using the book, Rigorous Reading: 5 Access Points for Comprehending Complex Texts, by Nancy Frey and Douglas Fisher, and includes topics such as how to ramp up for complex texts, stating a purpose and modeling, close reading and scaffolded reading instruction, and collaborative learning. In addition, independent reading strategies are discussed as well as methods to demonstrate understanding and assess performance. Finally, the authors present a professional learning guide that offers a framework to support K-12 teachers in guiding and instructing all students in the comprehension of complex texts.
CE Course Objectives
1. Describe how teachers frame instruction and transfer responsibility to students to ensure that they are able to read complex texts independently and proficiently.
2. Identify the steps in modeling problem-solving, text interactions, and ways to make meaning of complex material, while also clearly stating the purpose, goal, or objective of each lesson.
3. Evaluate methods to provide scaffolded and close reading instruction to guide students through complex texts.
4. Discuss how effective teachers create opportunities for collaborative conversations within the classroom in order to enable students to refine their understanding.
5. Summarize the goals of independent reading and consider how teachers move students forward with reading increasingly difficult material.
6. Examine productive ways to help students demonstrate understanding, while discussing assessment practices that can be used to accomplish this.
7. Review practical strategies to support students in achieving proficient understanding of complex texts through the access points.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.