CE Credit Hours: 2.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
Research findings have demonstrated the critical role of family acceptance and rejection in the health and well-being of LGBT youth. This brief, intermediate level continuing education course, developed using information from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and the Child Welfare Information Gateway, is intended to help professionals understand the value of these family relationships in providing love, safety, and support. Practical strategies to increase family support as well as specific factors that impact LGBT foster youth and their families are presented.
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss how the increase in awareness and visibility of LGBT individuals in our society has impacted the lives of LGBT youth.
2. Differentiate between the terms used to describe sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
3. Describe how family acceptance and rejection impact LGBT youth, as well as the family’s role in reducing risk and promoting well-being.
4. Outline practical steps that family members can take to support their LGBT youth.
5. Identify the unique risks that LGBT face in the child welfare system, and the role that foster parents can take in reducing these risks.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.