This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 8.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
With the current focus on Common Core State Standards in education, researchers and developers have been working on innovative methods to teach both academic vocabulary and content material English learners in the context of regular classroom instruction. This continuing education course, developed using information from the Institute of Education Sciences, U.S. Department of Education, is designed to provide strategies to enhance the language and literacy skills English learners need to be successful in school. Specifically, the guide offers four recommendations that emphasize academic vocabulary, content-area instruction, writing instruction, and small-group intervention for English learners who are struggling. Instructional opportunities that will enable students in grades K-8 to use and practice the English language are also presented.
CE Course Objectives
1. Identify effective strategies to teach a set of academic vocabulary words intensively across several days using a variety of instructional activities.
2. Determine best methods to integrate oral and written English language instruction into content-area teaching.
3. Summarize practical approaches that will enable teachers to provide regular, structured opportunities to develop written language skills.
4. Describe how small-group instructional interventions can benefit students struggling in areas of literacy and English language development.
5. Review practical examples of classroom strategies that may be used to carry out the expert panel’s recommendations.
6. Evaluate roadblocks that teachers may face as they implement new interventions, and identify possible solutions.
7. Outline research findings pertaining to the teaching of academic content and literacy to English learners.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.