CE Credit Hours: 2.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
Trauma has been shown to negatively impact early brain, cognitive, and social-emotional development as well as learning, the ability to develop secure attachments to others, and physical health. The purpose of this continuing education course, developed using Child Trends information, is to describe early childhood trauma and its effects and offer promising strategies for early care and education (ECE) programs and systems to help young children who have experienced trauma. Additionally, recommendations for state policymakers and other stakeholders looking to support trauma-informed ECE for this vulnerable group are presented.
1. Define early childhood trauma, including different types and prevalence and discuss the impacts of early childhood trauma on the child, family, and ECE programs.
2. Identify promising approaches to trauma-informed care (TIC) that have emerged in early care and education settings.
3. Summarize recommendations to increase the availability of and access to high quality, trauma-informed ECE and related supports for young children’s healthy development.
4. Outline the special needs of young children who have experienced trauma.
5. Determine how a stable and nurturing adult caregiver can help children recover from past trauma and develop the skills to cope and thrive.
6. Describe the components of trauma-informed care and the characteristics of a trauma-informed child- and family-service system.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.