CE Credit Hours: 4.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CE Course Description
This course was developed using the National Child Traumatic Stress Network publication, Psychological First Aid For Schools, Field Operations Guide, and will provide strategies to prepare school administrators, teachers, and school partnering agencies before a critical event occurs. Psychological First Aid for Schools (PFA-S), an evidence-informed intervention model to assist students, families, school personnel, and school partners in the immediate aftermath of an emergency, is designed to reduce the initial distress caused by emergencies, and to foster short- and long-term adaptive functioning and coping. Schools are typically the first service agencies to resume operations after a disaster/emergency and can become a primary source of community support during and after the incident, so this information will be beneficial to school personnel and community members.
CE Course Objectives
1. Discuss the basic standards that the principles and techniques of Psychological First Aid for Schools (PSA-S) must meet and the assumptions that the program is based on.
2. Identify the benefits of providing Psychological First Aid in Schools and the basic objectives of the PSA-S provider.
3. Evaluate how PFA-S fits into existing school emergency plans.
4. Outline guidelines to prepare for the delivery of PFA-S including learning about the school and considering special and diverse populations.
5. Describe the core actions of PFA-S including contact and engagement, safety and comfort, stabilization, and information gathering and offering practical assistance.
6. Review the role of connecting with social supports, providing information on coping, and linking with collaborative services in order to ensure effective response.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $95/year?
Click Here to learn more.
Our courseware includes the text content found on our websites as well as video, audio, and exam questions that make up our courses. You can link to and access our courseware free of charge for personal use. You may not modify or redistribute our courseware under any circumstances.
Although we allow free access for personal use, you may not use our courseware for any commercial purposes without an agreement in place. This includes (but is not limited to) using our courseware for internal training, redistributing our courseware for sale, and copying all or parts of any of our courseware.
If you're interested in licensing our content for commercial purposes or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.